Thursday, July 21, 2011

Reclaimation

I visited the same coal.mac mine operation 2 years ago with my REACT group and Ken Oconner.  I could already tell the growth of the reclaimation process since my last visit.  This trip has opened my eyes to the positive side of coal mining.  At dinner this evening we talked with Brent who is the plant manager at the Mt Laurel coal processing plant we visited and discussed how the media only puts negative information oit about coal moning.  I shared my disgust for the COAL tv show on Spike TV and oir table discused how the show has only set us back in our efforts to ge away from the uneducated hillbilly, drug using West Virginian who mines coal.  Brent also shared with us how when he goes to the capitol to advocate for Arch Coal and many reporters do mot approach him as one to be in the coal industry because of the way he is dressed and when they do start asking him questions and he doesnt tell them what thry want to hear they stop writing and walk away.  It has made me want to educate my students on a fair veiw and how they need to find information out for themselves and not rely on the media to form their opinions.

Our visit to the coal processing plant inspired me to create a lesson or lessons on the cleaning and separating process of coal and thr physics behind it.  I also have great professional contacts to help in my planning process.

2 comments:

  1. You have done a great job!! I would love to work with you on a negative propaganda project with you, I think your students would then see the effects of how things get blown out of whack..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its great that we were able to meet good folks like Brent tonight. These are the kind of primary sources we need to be able to better educate our kids.

    ReplyDelete